Sunday, December 30, 2012

2013 Kerouac-olutions



Herewith are my Kerouac-olutions for 2013, starting with how I did on 2012's.

Update on 2011 Kerouac-olutions (click here for original post):
1. Read Dr. Sax.
Done.2. Read A Dance with Dragons (is this appropriate since I already started it?).
Done.
3. Read On The Road: The Original Scroll (again, already started).
Done.
4. Buy Crystal flowers at least once a month.
Done (I think).
5. See the glass half full more often.
To report on this would defy it.
6. Travel somewhere new.
Greenville, Moosehead Lake, Chain of Ponds, Rangeley.
7. Figure out what my next book will be about and actually start it.
May have figured out the first half.
8. Sell one of my banjos and get a better guitar.
Gave away one of my banjos (to my son, Jason) and spend a bunch of money getting my guitar re-set.
9. Take advantage of the On The Road movie hype to advertise and sell The Beat Handbook.
I'm lousy at such things, but maybe the San Francisco event will help.
10. Learn to love my job or find a new one.
Tried and failed. On both counts.

So, I achieved about 65% of my 2011 Kerouac-olutions. Now it's time to make some for the approaching new year.

2013 Kerouac-olutions:
1. Read Visions of Kerouac: The Life of Jack Kerouac by Charles E. Jarvis.
2. Read Surviving on the Streets: How to Go Down Without Going Out by Ace Backwords.
3. Read Neil Young's autobiography, Waging Heavy Peace.
4. Read The Voice Is All: The Lonely Victory of Jack Kerouac by Joyce Johnson.
5. Read Desolate Angel: Jack Kerouac, The Beat Generation, and America by Dennis McNally.
6. Read Beat Generation: Glory Days in Greenwich Village by Fred and Gloria McDarrah.
7. Buy Crystal flowers once a month.
8. Start a second book.
9. Write 12 poems.
10. Visit Pennsylvania.

Happy New Year!

No comments: