Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Blog stats are a mystery to me (or what Kevin Nash, Kristin Stewart, Jack Kerouac, and the Three Stooges have in common)

I frequently look at the stats for this blog, and I must say that they leave me scratching my head more often than not. For example, the number 2 most popular page this week (out of 840 posts since 2008) based on pageviews is the one I wrote in October 9, 2011 about a guy we met in Lowell. Click here for the post. Why on earth is this particular post popular this week? Maybe Kevin Nash is in the news?

Not surprisingly, my post about the official On The Road movie website is number one in pageviews this week (click here). Of course, my post about Kristen Stewart appearing topless in On The Road continues to be the #1 post of all time, amassing 8,688 pageviews. The next closest only has 729 pageviews.

I guess it all has to do with keywords in a post and in the post title and how popular they are as search terms. I've read that if you put the words zombie, pirate, or ninja in a post that it assures traffic. I've tried it. It works.

The word Kerouac in the title or in the body of a post seems to help more lately. I think that's because of the buzz around the movie.

Anyway, I'll keep writing about Jack and the Beats and posting links to newsy Beat articles and resources and let the chips fall where they may in terms of blog traffic. I admit that I sprinkled some important search terms in the above discussion. Hey, it can't hurt.

Don't forget, by the way, the new Three Stooges movie comes out Friday. Jack was partial to the Stooges, and referenced them in Visions of Cody. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk! Another helpful search term makes it into my post.






No comments: