Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Diamond Cutter Sutra

In The Dharma Bums, Ray writes the following phrase on a piece of paper the size of a thumbnail and gives it to Japhy as a parting gift:

MAY YOU USE THE DIAMONDCUTTER OF MERCY

I've been wondering about that phrase (and mentioned it in a previous post). Today I found an on-line source for what is called The Diamond Cutter Sutra so I thought I'd share it as a possible reading that may have been influencing Jack at the time.

I think it's time for my next tattoo, and this phrase is at the top of my list. Not only is it a Kerouac reference, but it could also be a reference to Diamond Dallas Page's finishing move. Double entendre is a good thing, n'est pas?

Where is the only question left.


P.S. Here's a picture of me and Jason with DDP in Hollywood.

No comments: