Thursday, September 25, 2008

Lowell Celebrates Kerouac!

The annual hometown tribute to Jack Kerouac will be taking place Oct. 2-5. You can find details at Lowell Celebrates Kerouac!.

Yes, I'll be there. C & I already have hotel reservations. We'll be partaking of festivities (the Saturday afternoon pub crawl looks very beat) throughout the weekend, but the main attraction is that I am leaving a copy of The Beat Handbook at Jack's grave. When I visited his grave in late 2005, I met a couple at the gravesite. They were on their honeymoon. The husband was writing a book and mentioned that he was going to leave one there when he published it. I vowed to do the same and now it is time to adhere to my vow.

The really interesting news is that I have been in contact with a reporter from the Lowell Sun newspaper and she expressed an interest in meeting me at the grave for a story. Talk about P.R.!

I also would like to contact a Lowell bookstore about a signing, but I still don't know if I'll have copies by then.

Here's a picture of me from my first pilgrimage to the gravesite:

No comments: