Sunday, September 28, 2008

Book signing news

As a new author, and a self-published one at that, marketing my book is a learning experience for me. Book signings seem to be a common marketing venture, yet I know nothing about the business side of arranging one. Undaunted by my lack of prior knowledge, it seemed a good idea to visit a local bookstore and introduce myself and ask if they support local authors, perhaps via a book signing.

I started with Devaney Doak & Garrett at 193 Broadway in Farmington, Maine, home of my employer, University of Maine Farmington. I talked with the owner, Kenny. Without much convincing on my part (if any), he agreed to hold a signing! I think the fact that I teach at the local university was a help.

Details remain to be worked out because I do not have copies yet (and my book is not available yet for wholesale purchase by a bookstore), but it looks like a Thursday evening in late October or early November is going to happen. I would read for about 20 minutes and then sign copies (hopefully!) for customers.

I'll keep you posted. Hope to see you there!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can do your book signing on Chester Greenwood Day - the first Saturday in December. Lots of people in town, and hey, maybe Chester was a beat dude - earmuffs and all!